I felt your gasp and shaming eye as you read that title.
I know you’re thinking:
“You’re in a health field, you can’t do that!”
“Doritos aren’t healthy, you’re setting a bad example for your clients.”
“You must not really care about your health, everyone knows you can’t eat Doritos and be healthy…let alone in bed…ugh!”
Well, guess what? None of those are true.
-If I lived on Doritos, yes I would be unhealthy.
-If I never got out of bed, yes I would probably be unhealthy.
-If I ate Doritos ONLY in bed, there might be something to say for this.
-AND if I acted like I was a robot who never ate minimally nutritious foods, I would be doing my clients a disservice. I am a real person and I teach women how to be healthy while navigating REAL life and being a REAL person.
Why You Feel the Need to Shame Me
The reason you feel the need to shame me is because of how you’ve been programed to view food.
Our society is very black and white with food-this causes food shaming. People getting all ‘hoity toity’ and ‘better than thou’ about their food choices.
You aren’t a better person than anyone else because of what you choose to nourish your body with. And another person isn’t better than you.
Everyone just needs to get over themselves and realize this is causing serious problems-which we will get to in a minute.
And remember, if someone is food shaming you, it’s because they have their own hang-ups around food.
I Am Well Aware of What I’m Doing and I Am CHOOSING to Do it Because it’s Adding Enjoyment to My Life
Guess what? I love Doritos! Not all of them…just the Sweet Spicy Chili. I don’t ever eat the other ones because they aren’t as good to me. If I’m going to indulge in something, it’s going to be something I really like.
My 3 Favorite Indulgences are:
1. Sweet Spicy Chili Doritos
2. Apple Cider Donuts-Golden Harvest Farms in Valatie (I don’t want to hear how great anyone else’s are until you’ve tried these. They are like cinnamon and sugar clouds in your mouth. Do your life a favor and get some, they are there all year long!)
3. Bang Bang Shrimp-Bonefish Grill (and yes, I am still devastated that the one on Wolf Road closed! Ugh!)
Okay, now that I got that out of my system, back to the blog…
I am very well aware of what I am doing when I’m eating them…I’m enjoying them and CHOOSING to eat them because they make me happy.
Eating them in bed just makes the enjoyment that much better.
This Doesn’t Mean I Wasn’t Healthy the Rest of the Day or that This is Me ‘Throwing in the Towel’ in Any Way.
Just because I ate Doritos in bed doesn’t mean I didn’t live on vegetables, protein, and more nutritious foods the rest of the day, that I didn’t strength train or walk that day. I did all of those things. I just wanted some damn Doritos!
And there’s nothing wrong with this…
Stop letting people food shame you or act like you have to be so black and white with your eating.
Food is on a Continuum
Meaning some foods are more nutritious than others. So, you might want to live on certain foods and not on others. But, it doesn’t mean that any food can’t be enjoyed at a certain time. And be enjoyed any way you want it.
If eating a Snickers in the hot tub is up your alley, then do that! Again, I just wouldn’t do it every day.
This mindset of labeling things ‘good and bad’ is what gets us into trouble and creates disordered eating patterns long-term. It creates a mindset of perfectionism. And since perfectionism doesn’t exist well in real life, this causes a lot of people to throw in the towel.
Perfectionism is What’s Screwing You Over (or at least making you miserable)
So, isn’t that ironic?
The thing you thought was ‘throwing in the towel’ is actually an act that’s preventing you from doing so in the long-run.
Just something to ponder.
Okay! Well, I am off to workout now- since I can eat Doritos and workout in the same day.
…And so can you.
Be Fit AND Happy!
If you want to learn how you can think differently about fitness and food so you can be
Fit AND Happy visit:
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Ashley's Life
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More