Do you feel that loving yourself is selfish?
Well, this should help…
In the end, loving yourself isn’t about you. It’s about what you can bring to others-to humanity.
When you get to the point of loving yourself, you’ve overcome the self-limiting bullshit stories in your head. This allows you to really do what you’re here to do.
It’s amazing…we’re in a country where we are physically free. But, remain in a prison of “I’m not enough” in our own heads.
Shame researcher and PhD social worker Brene Brown says,
“Be willing to let go of who you think you should be, in order to become who you are.”
Women in our country are so held back by so many self-limiting stories they’ve been fed their entire existence. And NONE of them are true. We just choose to entertain them in our heads and make them our reality.
You ARE enough.
And if you want to live your life to its greatest potential, you will need to come to terms with this.
Stop Mom Shaming Yourself and Others
You are NOT less of a mom if you have a fulltime job. Nor are you less of a contributor to society if you stay at home or don’t have any kids at all. You are right where you need to be, doing what you need to do for the world.
Unless, you’re feeling called to do one over the other and aren’t listening to it because of what other people might think. If this is the case, you aren’t being true to yourself…. listen to that shit.
*Note: If you want to be a mom so badly and are having troubles, this is of course not what I’m talking about here. Just know you ARE whole as you are, and seen as well. Much love and luck to you.
And if you find yourself shaming other mom’s, look at your own life. There’s a reason you feel the need to call her out, there’s something inside yourself or your own life that you’re not happy with.
No happy, fully content person goes around trying to hurt others or tear others down-they build others up.
Look at yourself first.
Stop Listening to the Message, “You ARE Your Body” “You ARE Your Appearance”
Unless you are actively doing work to combat this message, it will get ahold of you. It’s everywhere. Being driven down women’s throats constantly.
The two biggest things to remember here are these:
1. You Have a Choice
You have the choice to determine how closely you want to be aligned with our culture. How important appearances actually are to you.
But, the problem comes in when we have our WORTH on our bodies or our appearance. Because as long as we have our worth on our bodies or our appearance, it’s impossible for US to actually make the decision of what we want-it will be culture making it for us.
This leads me to my next point…
2. You Are Body, Mind, AND Soul
In order for you to take your worth off of your body, you have to figure out where it actually should be.
And this requires the hard work of: 1. Figuring out WHO you are, 2. Accepting those things, and 3. Loving and living those things out.
By doing this you also bring balance back to who you are as a compete being. When so much of our focus is on our body, our existence becomes out of balance-leading to unhappiness.
There’s a big difference between wanting to get fit because you want to optimize your existence and doing it because you think you need to be fixed.
You DO NOT need to be fixed.
Stop letting the media tell you WHO you are and where your worth should be.
Mom shame and having our worth on our appearance and bodies are just 2 ways of MANY that women are shamed in our culture.
Start paying attention to how you feel shamed (or less than worthy) in your life. Instead of giving in to those thoughts and agreeing with them, investigate them, challenge them, dismantle them.
See them for what they really are...ways to try and get you to conform. Whether that be to culture or to other people in your life.
By you living in a way that isn’t really you, is conforming. And when you are conforming, you aren’t honoring, respecting, or loving yourself. And when you’re not loving yourself, the world isn’t getting what it needs out of your existence.
This is why learning to love yourself is the most self-less thing you can do.
Be Fit AND Happy!
"When you get to a place where you understand that love and belonging, your worthiness, is a birthright and not something you have to earn, anything is possible." - Brene Brown
Part of being Fit AND Happy is becoming our Authentic selves.
As long as we have our worth on our body or appearance, it doesn’t matter how fit we become, we will never be happy.
To learn more about Brainy Betties and how you can become Fit AND Happy click here
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Ashley's Life
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More