Tonight my 3 and ½ yr old daughter and I had ice cream sundaes, then we exercised.
We didn’t exercise because we had ice cream. I just decided I wanted ice cream first and of course she was down for that. So, we had our ice cream and then we worked out (of course her workout only consisted of some wiggling and squiggling :)
But, there was no talk about “Oh, mommy is so bad for eating ice cream, she needs to go work it off.” We enjoyed our ice cream and our workouts as separate parts of our life.
There will never be any talk in this house about needing to punish ourselves with exercise for what we ate. Nor will there ever be any foods that we are “bad” for eating. She will understand that there are foods that are appropriate to live on and others that are treats that we will have more sparingly.
When we attach our quality of person to our food choices or get in the habit of connecting our food with our exercise, this becomes a viscous cycle of negativity.
Unless, of course if we’re talking about eating to fuel our workouts-than that’s a different story. I don't normally plan to have a lot of sugar before my workouts, but it did make the workout better! I put that sugar to good use :)
So, this is what I will be teaching my daughter and one of the many positive messages I try to spread with Brainy Betties.
If you agree, and want to hear more messages like this, sign up to get the Brainy Blog in your inbox below!
Be Fit AND Happy!
Thanks For Reading!
If you want to be Fit AND Happy also checkout:
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Ashley's Life
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More