Earlier today, I was standing behind an 80-year old woman in the grocery store checkout.
As she loaded her groceries onto the belt she apologized to me.
I asked her, “For what?” But, she didn’t hear me so I let it go. She then proceeded to tell me in a half joking tone, “I was hungry today, so I guess I should’ve stayed home.” At this point, she confirmed my suspicions.
SHE WAS APOLIGIZING TO ME FOR HER EXISTENCE.
She felt she had to apologize for “holding me up”-that she wasn’t even worthy enough to hold up space in a grocery store line. She then further confirmed this thought by apologizing to the bagger for having to bag her groceries.
This woman is a product of our culture.
A culture that likes to keep women small. She’s been “taught” that if she stays small she will be more liked. If she’s physically smaller, mentally smaller, and even verbally smaller, than she will be more worthy.
This mindset finds her apologizing for EVERYTHING because she feels she’s constantly messing up.
As women in our culture, we are always saying “I’m sorry.” We are apologizing for things that there’s absolutely no need to apologize for. This behavior comes from a lack of worthiness. A lack of worthiness that we’ve been taught by our culture.
We are all born knowing our worth, but we live in a culture that makes us change our minds.
It’s this same culture and mindset of ‘being less’ that makes us want to diet, exercise until our brains fall out, and let the scale dictate our daily mood- if we let it.
It’s ALSO this same culture and mindset that controls our whole entire life and our happiness.
IF WE LET IT.
Today, after this woman left, my first thought was “Wow! What is this world missing because this woman didn’t have enough confidence in herself to give her gift?”
This woman is going to die with her gift inside her.
Don’t be like her. Learn from her. How are you staying small in your life? How are you letting our culture define you and determine your happiness? And ultimately, how is this affecting your ability to give your gift?
Apologize if you have wronged someone. DO NOT apologize for your existence.
Be Fit AND Happy!
Thanks For Reading!
If you think this could help someone you know, please share!!!
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self Oct 16, 2017
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise Oct 9, 2017
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food Sep 25, 2017
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty? Jul 10, 2017
- Ashley's Life 2
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017! Dec 31, 2017
Does This Sound Like You?
- Nov 20, 2017 Why More Willpower and Diets Aren’t the Answer to Your ‘All or Nothing’ Eating...and What Is Nov 20, 2017
- Jun 12, 2017 Is Your Workout Making You Too Hungry to Lose Fat? Jun 12, 2017
- Jan 16, 2017 Why You Gained Inches After Menopause and What You Can Do About It Jan 16, 2017
- Jul 31, 2017 Why Your Workout Isn't Working...And What You Can Do About It Jul 31, 2017
Healthy in the Real World
- Oct 23, 2017 Exercising in The Real World: How to be Okay with Not Working Out on Vacation-and Enjoy Your Trip!! Oct 23, 2017
- Oct 2, 2017 Eating Healthy in the Real World: How to Deal with Sleep Deprivation Oct 2, 2017
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will Dec 11, 2017
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do Aug 21, 2017
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body Jul 24, 2017
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome Jun 3, 2017
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture! May 6, 2017
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong Aug 29, 2016
Mindset with Food
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices Jul 17, 2017
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake" May 28, 2017
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly" May 21, 2017
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream May 16, 2017
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat Dec 19, 2016
Mindset with Life
- Sep 11, 2017 Why the Company You Keep is So Important to the Quality of Your Life Sep 11, 2017
- Aug 28, 2017 Why Being Superwoman is Hurting Your fitness…and what You Can Do Instead. Aug 28, 2017
- May 14, 2017 Is Your Perfectionism Stealing Your Happiness? May 14, 2017
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble Aug 14, 2017
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale Aug 7, 2017
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness Jul 3, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth Jun 19, 2017
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve Apr 21, 2017
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them Jan 17, 2017
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful! Jan 17, 2017
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure Jan 17, 2017
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise Sep 20, 2016
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence Dec 6, 2016
Tell Me More
- May 21, 2017 Why Strength Training Should be Your Fitness Priority May 21, 2017