5 REASONS TO PRIORITIZE STRENGTH TRAINING IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR BODY, ENHANCE YOUR EFFICIENCY, AND OPTIMIZE YOUR LIFE.
1. IT'S LIKE FINDING THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH
Brings Back Lost Muscle Tissue
Do you ever wonder why as people age, they tend to put on body fat? Sometimes they may even weigh the same as they did in high school, but look different. This is because as we age (if we don’t have a regular strength training program), we lose muscle.
It’s like that old saying “If you don’t use it, you lose it. “
This loss of muscle tissue makes the body less efficient and makes it easier to put on body fat.
Helps You Move Better and Decreases Risk of Injury
Not only does strength training affect the look of your body, but it's function as well. Regular strength training improves balance, coordination, posture, and this can decrease the of injury.
It's Never Too Late
The good news is, even if you are a middle aged or older person who has lost a lot of muscle, you can still get it back by performing a regular strength training program.
Your muscles don’t know your age.
2. MAKES LOSING BODY FAT EASIER
This is Not Just About Calories. It's About Optimizing Hormones.
***This is especially true about losing fat after menopause. Learn more about that here: Why You Gained Inches After Menopause and What You Can Do About It.
During your strength training session, your body produces many different hormones such as growth hormone to free up stored body fat to be used for energy. After your workout, your body continues this process while your broken down tissues are healing.
*Breaking down muscle tissue is the goal of strength training because as tissues repair themselves, they become stronger.
So, not only are you burning calories while you're strength training to contribute to fat loss, you're optimizing your body's ability to release fat from the stores and USE it for fuel.
If fat loss was JUST about calories, the type of exercise and amount you choose wouldn't matter.
But, it does matter.
3. MAKES KEEPING BODY FAT OFF WAY EASIER
It's Like Creating Passive Income
The effect that increased lean muscle tissue has on long-term fat loss is the best part. It’s like creating passive income for yourself.
This extra muscle tissue that you acquire over time WORKS FOR YOU!
Not only do you burn more calories at rest (because muscle is a more metabolically active tissue than fat), but because of the way muscle tissue interacts with hormones, more of the carbohydrates that you eat can get stored into the muscle tissue versus the fat stores.
The more muscle you have, the higher capacity you have to store carbohydrate in your muscle. Which means...
You Have More Wiggle Room With Food
I mean, who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies?
Well, when you strength train regularly, and acquire more lean muscle mass, you will find that those occasional cookies will have a lot less of an effect on your body fat levels.
And of course, the more muscle you have, the more this holds true. It makes maintaining your new body fat level way easier!
4. MAKES YOUR WHOLE LIFE EASIER
Since you're now stronger, when you have to lift anything, move anything, go up stairs, or walk up a hill it's way easier.
You will notice such a difference in these activities that it will feel like you are cheating life.
It all becomes so easy.
5. CHANGES THE SHAPE OF YOUR BODY
If you're looking to change the shape of your body, and get that toned look, you won't get that from the cardio machines.
That comes from strength training.
DOES THIS MEAN DON'T DO OTHER TYPES OF EXERCISE?
Every Type of Exercise Has It's Purpose
Just because you strength train doesn't mean that cardiovascular exercise doesn't have it's place. They're both different and cardiovascular exercise is great for burning extra calories, heart health, and overall optimal function of the body.
WHAT IF YOU HATE STRENGTH TRAINING?
TRY OTHER FORMS OF RESISTANCE TRAINING
Strength Focused Yoga
A strength focused yoga will absolutely rival a body weight strength training workout.
Yoga or Pilates
If the intense strength specific yogas aren't your thing, than other forms of yoga or pilates would be best. These aren't going to have the same exact effect because they don't break down as much muscle tissue, but they're still a form of resistance training.
And remember, you don't want to hate what you're doing.
If you hate strength training, body weight strength training, and strength focused yoga, regular yoga or pilates would be YOUR best thing!
ANY EXERCISE IS BETTER THAN NOTHING
If you truly hate all the options above then just do some kind of exercise and make that a priority.
Understand you won't get all the benefits listed above, but anything that you can make a habit, and do consistently is what's going to be best for you.
Learn how to Strength Train at Brainy Betties!
If you think strength training is the best fit for you, but don't know where to start, know that this is part of what I do at Brainy Betties in Coxsackie.
Brainy Betties is part small group fitness training for women, along with an educational program to help make you Fit AND Happy for the rest of your life.
Or as a I call it...Living the F.A.B. Life.
Every session has 5 women or less. So, you are getting the personalized attention you need, but for a fraction of the cost of one-on-one personal training.
Want to learn how you can be fit and happy by living the f.a.b Life??!!
Be Fit AND Happy!
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Ashley's Life
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More