This is post 3 in the Why We Were Created Series. See bottom for full list.
Most people who purchase personal training are women.
Do women have more money than men?
Do they care more about their health?
Are they more motivated?
Women are More Motivated to Change the Way They Look Because This is What They’ve Been Taught to Put Their Value On
Many times when a woman purchases personal training she thinks, “This is the answer to my happiness. I will now have a “great” body and I will be happy.”
The problem is, traditional personal training does’t deal with the underlying driver of a women’s unhappiness (where she has her worth.) And many times, just focusing on fitness and ignoring this worthiness fact, makes this situation worse.
I’m not saying that becoming fitter doesn’t make a women happier, because of course it can.
It’s just a slippery and incomplete slope.
Incomplete because it’s not enough to achieve the level of happiness that women think they’re going to get.
And slippery because a lot of times it can make the problem worse.
When worthiness isn’t being addressed, and we’re now focusing even more on outward appearances, it can continue to drive and deepen the obsession of appearance. The obsession of trying to be “good enough.” Aka worthy.
Unless a woman takes her self-worth off her appearance, she will never be truly happy
She might be happier than she was before she got fit, but it’s not a deep level of happiness and joy of life.
It’s still a mindset of trying to be “good enough.” Now it’s just trying to stay “good enough” or trying to be even “better.”
This unhealthy relationship with a woman and her body/self is what drives unhealthy relationships with her food, exercise, and life.
How This affects a Woman’s Relationship with Her Food, Exercise, and Life
How a woman feels about her body is usually a direct reflection of how she feels about herself.
Our culture has taught her that her worthiness IS her body.
Food and Exercise
THIS is what makes women do crazy diets and exercise fads.
THIS is the driver behind developing unhealthy relationships with food and exercise. Because food and exercise directly affect the way a woman’s body looks.
Our culture just takes advantage of these problems with selling women quick fix “solutions.”
“Solutions” that further enhance these problems.
***You can read about that in the first two posts of this series:
The way our culture talks to women (where a woman has decided to put her worthiness) also affects the way she lives her everyday life.
Is she putting EVERYONE else’s needs before her own because the is what she’s been told she’s supposed to do?
Does she try SOOOO hard to be “perfect” in everything that she does? Because this is what our culture told her she needs to do be a “worthy” woman?
Both of these are exhausting.
And neither lead to a healthy and fulfilled life.
***I will be talking about these life mindsets more in the next post of this series:
Why We Were Created: Mindset Around Life
I Know All This Because I Have Lived It
And have watched many other women live it as well.
I’ve been fit for a long time. But, not Fit AND Happy for a long time.
I’ve actually been leaner than I am right now and was way more unhappy. I was stuck in the body obsession rabbit hole. Enough was never enough.
And it was never going to be enough until I changed my mindset.
It has not been all that long that I have been fit and truly happy-around 5 years. And I’ve been into fitness for the last 15.
This level of happiness never came until I liberated myself from having my value on my appearance
This doesn’t mean that I don’t care about my appearance.
It just means I’m not obsessed with it.
And it’s not by any means where I derive my value from my myself or my life.
You might look at me and say, “Well that’s easy for you to say, you’re fit. It’s easy for you to just liberate yourself.”
Ha! I can assure you it’s the exact opposite. I’m held to an even higher “standard” being in personal training.
I just choose to create my own standards and live by my own rules.
And I teach other women how to do the same.
THIS is the true heart of Brainy Betties
This component right here is what sets women free and gives them that level of happiness they are actually after.
To be Fit AND Happy, the inner work needs to be done. It’s not just an exercise and food thing-it’s a mindset of self-thing.
This is the whole AUTHENTIC piece of our educational program (we have FIT, AUTHENTIC, and BALANCED-Living the F.A.B. life)
AUTHENTIC is all about this deeper happiness piece. It helps women feel great in their own skin (regardless of their level of fitness at the time) and put their worth where it’s supposed to be.
It allows them to live their life as who they truly are-not constantly trying to live up to some imaginary standard.
This piece right here is why I’m excited to get up at 5am every Friday morning. I LOVE seeing women make their way through these inner changes-and how they change ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in that woman’s life.
This is why I do what I do.
Be Fit AND Happy!
Posts in the Why We Were Created Series:
4. Mindset Around Life (Coming Soon)
5. Food, Exercise, Life, and Self-How They’re All Intertwined (Coming Soon)
6. Food, Exercise, Life, and Self-A Cultural Problem (Coming Soon)
7. Education that Gets to the Bottom of Deeper Behavioral Issues (Coming Soon)
8. Education that Can Be Individualized (Coming Soon)
9. A Cure for Information Overload (Coming Soon)
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Ashley's Life
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More