*This is post 1 in the Why We Were Created Series. See bottom for full list.
The Fitness Industry (as a whole) is Missing the Mark
The mainstream fitness media screws you out of long-term results and happiness because it completely avoids talking mindset around your food, your exercise, your life, and yourself.
But, here’s the problem:
Your mind controls EVERYTHING you do.
And the way these companies market and push their products actually INCREASES your poor mindset around all of those things-this keeps you struggling and “needing” to come back for their products.
This is because they are selling you rules.
Not guidelines and teaching you how to mold them to your unique self and life. Which is how you get long-term results
There are Amazing People in the Industry
Just FYI, there ARE amazing people in this industry talking mindset.
Just not enough.
Hence reason #1 why Brainy Betties was born: Mindset Around Food.
How Your Mindset Around Food Affects Your Results, Life, and Happiness
You Can Get Short-Term Results Without Addressing Mindset, But Not Long-Term Results
Not while being happy at least. Why?
Reason #1: Food Rules are Band-Aids
Many times people subscribe to food rules to try and get a grip on their food intake (and this works in the short-term!). But, really this is just putting Band-Aids on underlying issues.
And this is why eventually they end up failing.
You can push through something for a while, but in the end, the real you/problems with your food re-surface.
For long-term results, you need to create a relationship with food that isn’t relying on willpower.
This is one where you understand how different foods/food combos affect your body and cravings. And one that deals with underlying mindset issues (all or nothing, situational eating, shame/overeat cycle.
You NEED to have a healthy relationship with food to be successful long-term.
You’re Living in a Bubble
You can live in a bubble for a while. But, once real life hits, you’re screwed.
You’re living in a bubble because living by rules doesn’t allow you to adjust to the normal ebbs and flows of real life: stress, lack of sleep, tight schedule, emotional rollercoasters etc.
If you aren’t dealing with your actual relationship with food (mindset) you aren’t able to deal with life’s normal ebbs and flows.
All things that are normal, that you WILL encounter, and will pop your bubble.
How Food Rules and Living in a Bubble (the way the mainstream media presents eating) Further Messes with Your Long-Term Results
It Affects Your Relationship with Yourself
When these food rules fail you, it makes you feel like a loser and that you’re the reason you aren’t successful.
And each time you are unsuccessful, it makes it harder to be successful in the future just because you think you can’t be.
Even though this isn’t true.
But, try telling your brain that when it feels like it’s tried EVERYTHING in the past and has been unsuccessful.
It Affects Your Relationship with Your Exercise
Many times when people start a fitness program or a diet, their food and exercise are very much psychologically linked.
Meaning, if they “screw up” their eating they think, “Well, what’s the point of exercising since I already ate crappy?”
And this can work in the reverse too, “Well, I didn’t workout today, so I might as well just “cheat” on my food and get back on track tomorrow.”
As you can see, when your food is linked to your exercise (in any way other than fueling your workouts) it can be detrimental. Especially when our relationship with food is based on rules and ‘black and white’/ ‘all or nothing’ thinking because it’s just too easy to be derailed.
We are not compartmentalized beings. One thing affects the other and that thing effects something else.
Which brings me to my next point…
It Affects Your Whole Life
I think this point is pretty straight forward, but I will point it out anyways. When something is derailing your food, exercise, and how you feel about yourself as a whole, it’s obviously going to impact the quality of your whole life.
Thinking that these diets and food rules are the only way to get healthy can lead us into a life of yo-yoing with our weight, on and off exercise cycles, poor self-image etc.
Adding this all up can lead to life of poor physical health. Or at the very least, less than what we are capable of and deserve.
Soooo, Long Story Short
One of the many reasons Brainy Betties has been created is to help women with their relationship with their food so they can be Fit AND Happy for the rest of their lives.
Be Fit AND Happy!
*I will be writing the rest of this series in the upcoming weeks.
Posts in the Why We Were Created Series:
4. Mindset Around Life (Not yet written)
5. Food, Exercise, Life, and Self-How They’re All Intertwined (Not yet written)
6. Food, Exercise, Life, and Self-A Cultural Problem (Not yet written)
7. Education that Gets to the Bottom of Deeper Behavioral Issues (Not yet written)
8. Education that Can Be Individualized (Not yet written)
9. A Cure for Information Overload (Not yet written)
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Sep 18, 2017 Yes, I Have Eaten An Entire Pizza
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Sep 5, 2017 I Eat Doritos in Bed
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More