No this wasn’t recently.
And yes it was a Freschetta-I think it was this 4 cheese combo to be exact.
This epic night was about 15 years ago at my friend Carrie’s house.
A night so epic that we both remember it to this day….(I have been telling her for a while I am going to write a blog about it, and here we are!)
We were two teenage girls who decided on a Friday night we wanted pizza.
Pretty normal right?
And like a person with a normal relationship with food, Carrie had 1 or two pieces…
Then stupidly…I ate the rest.
This night wasn’t only epic because I ate an entire pizza, but because I was then rolling around her living room carpet in pain for the rest of the night.
You might ask yourself why would I do that???!!
Why would I eat so much that I was in that much pain???
Why didn’t I just stop when I was full???
I Had Food Shame
Being full had absolutely nothing to do with it.
When I talk about mindset around food, this is exactly what I’m talking about…
This is an extreme example of what can happen when we start labeling foods good and bad. We lose control around the food.
We think we’re in control because we’re telling ourselves “I’m just going to eat this pizza now, because well, I’m already bad, I already starting eating it, so I might as well just keep going…and well, since I’m never going to do this again, I will just eat the whole thing. I might as well just finish it off.”
Since I was labeling pizza a bad food, I was bad when I ate it.
This shame is what causes things to spiral out of control. And as we know, even though we’re telling ourselves, “This is never going to happen again”…
IT ALWAYS DOES.
It always does because it’s this exact mindset that causes this behavior to repeat itself.
The thing we think will get us out of this mess, is the same exact mindset causing us to repeat it….over…and…over…and over.
Until we break the cycle.
I now have a very healthy relationship with food. I can very easily have one piece of pizza (or some amount that is reasonable considering my hunger) and stop.
I can’t even begin to describe to you how freeing this is.
I used to feel like I was in a food prison…That night it was a pizza prison.
How I Did It
I Stopped Labeling Foods Good and Bad
Some foods are more nutritious than others and those are the ones we should be living on.
But, just because we have a less nutritious food here and there doesn’t mean it’s going to break our health or cause us to gain weight or whatever nonsense you have been preached by the diet culture.
I Learned Food Physiology
Certain foods and food combinations affect our brain differently. This means certain foods and combinations have a different effect on our hunger and cravings when we’re eating the food AND even hours after we eat it!
This is why, when a person is trying to lose body fat, it’s not just about calories! You need to understand how the food is affecting your body hormonally to easily be successful long-term.
You don’t get knowledge one day and then wake up a different person the next. It takes practice. It takes trial and error. And it takes compassion (you will “mess up”, be easy on yourself and just learn from it.) And most importantly, it takes time.
You’re changing yourself from the inside out. That’s deep. So, give yourself a break.
I Figured Out It was More Than Just Food-and Fixed That Problem Too
I also learned, in my wise old age, that my negative relationship with my body was what was driving this negative relationship with food (and exercise too-which I will write about some other time.)
Since food directly affects the look of one’s body, when we hate our bodies, we will naturally have some type of negative mindset around food. The degree to which, is person dependent.
Hating our bodies doesn’t just effect our relationship with our bodies-it effects EVERYTHING in our life.
This is one of the MANY reasons I started Brainy Betties-to help women develop a healthier relationship with their food AND their bodies.
If we just keep putting Band-Aids on our problems (diets, quick fix exercise programs etc.) not only do the problems come back, but they come back stronger than ever.
You want to get to the root of your problems so you can be Fit AND Happy.
And I PROMISE you, you can. You just need the right tools.
Be Fit AND Happy!
If you want more help on becoming Fit AND Happy, click here.
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Sep 18, 2017 Yes, I Have Eaten An Entire Pizza
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Sep 5, 2017 I Eat Doritos in Bed
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More