Do you feel like you NEED to work out on vacation?
Are you worried about gaining weight or some kind of unwanted body change?
I just came back from an awesome trip to Minnesota. I used to live there so, I have many friends that I like to reconnect with.
It was super fun and carefree.
But, back in the day, I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy this trip like I did…
Many years ago, my head would have been consumed with thoughts of “Oh I don’t want to go backwards, I don’t want to get soft, gain weight, I need to make sure I get my workout in” or whatever else.
It was constant worry.
I really couldn’t enjoy my life. Whether I was home, on a trip or whatever-I was constantly worried about the state of my body.
Why was I consumed with these thoughts when I should have been enjoying my trip?
Well…if you’ve been following the blog at all, you already know the answer. It always comes back to….
My worth being on my body.
My lack of understanding of how body change actually worked.
Lets Start with My Lack of Understanding
First of all, if you’re strength training CORRECTLY, you’re creating passive income for yourself in a sense when it comes body change (or maintaining the current state of your body during a period of less frequent workouts.)
Plus, if you’re concerned about body change, the number one thing to keep in mind is how you eat.
Exercise should not be the driver in body change (it’s pretty much impossible to work off a bad diet in the long-run.)
And cardiovascular exercise should be used.
But again, if you’re only doing that, you’re going to have to do WAY more than you should and you’re still not going to get the results you want- because you’re missing the strength training piece (this affects the body and it’s hormones differently.)
So, the point being, if you’re strength training regularly and you go on vacation, as long as you’re eating pretty reasonably there is no reason to think that you would gain weight.
If we’re just talking science, the priority should be eating anyways. But, still who wants to go on vacation and be worried about the state of their freaking body anyways?!
Thoughts of your body don’t need to CONSUME your vacation.
I exercised a little this trip…because I WANTED TO.
Friday was absolutely beautiful, so I walked for an hour outside around the city. But, I didn’t have any structured workouts…I was too busy having a great time with my friends!
This felt so great and really enhanced my life….the walk and the fact that I wasn’t obsessed.
Again, I was obsessed back in the day because my worthiness was on my body. And no amount of science/efficiency is going to get rid of this fact…unless you deal with the underlying drivers.
Having MY Worthiness on MY Body
No matter how much science or efficiency we bring into this (those things are great and we need them, but they are just pieces) we still need to get to the underlying reasons why we feel the way we do.
This is where the worthiness piece comes in…
Seriously, we are all more than bodies. And until we come to terms with this, and really start living and breathing from this place, this constant state of body worry will haunt us.
This is of course easier said than done because we have so many cultural messages being thrown as us.
But, this is why the Brainy Betties learn how to deal with these messages and uncover their true value.
You would think that not being obsessed with working out on vacation would fall under the BALANCE category of our education. But, it doesn’t…
It’s FIT (the science of exercise and increasing your efficiency) and AUTHENTIC (dealing with where your worthiness is and combating cultural messages in a way that helps you live as your best self.)
Talking to Anna
I was talking to a great friend of mine (old college roommate) in Minnesota about Brainy Betties. She asked me, “So, what do you do there?”
I explained to her how it’s personal training but also an educational program to help make women Fit AND Happy forever.
I then explained to her that it needs to be both. And one reason is because a woman’s relationship with her body can drive her poor relationship with her food, her exercise, and before I could say it, she chimes in with “AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN HER EFFING LIFE!!”
Yes, exactly! Thank you Anna!!!
This is why, unless you deal with your underlying relationship with your body and yourself, it’s very hard to have a healthy, happy relationship with food, exercise, vacation, or anything else.
How we think drives how we live. Get your mind right.
Be Fit AND Happy,
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Sep 18, 2017 Yes, I Have Eaten An Entire Pizza
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Sep 5, 2017 I Eat Doritos in Bed
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More