If you want to change your body's appearance, that’s your business. But it doesn’t need to be pushed down your throat.
How Our Culture Makes Exercise and Healthy Eating Feel Terrible
Our culture's constant push for appearance change makes you feel like you need to “fix” yourself. It doesn’t come from a place of health. It makes you feel like there's something wrong with you.
This creates a poor relationship with your exercise and your food.
You look at healthy eating and exercise as a negative because it’s something you feel like you HAVE to do vs. something you GET to do.
This is drudgery. And COMPLETELY CHANGES YOUR FITNESS EXPERIENCE AND YOUR LIFE.
Why It’s Bad
This negative relationship with exercise and food doesn’t set you up for lasting change or positive emotional health.
Eventually you get sick of drudging, give up and feel like a failure. Or you go down the body obsession rabbit hole (and that becomes your new source of motivation to get through the drudgery.) Not a fun place to be.
What It Can be and Should Be
When you ONLY think about exercise to banish your fat, you aren’t allowing yourself to enjoy it because you’re attaching it to something bad-“All this fat I have to lose!!!”
It doesn’t have to be like this.
You can exercise and eat for fat loss (if that’s your goal) without hating yourself or the process. Just A simple change in your thoughts can significantly increase your chances of long-term success, happiness, and health.
You CAN feel like you are creating a better life vs “fixing this horrible, lacking person.”
How to Do It
Think Bigger Picture
You want to focus on ALL the benefits exercise and healthy eating offers.
In a nutshell, it’s about being able to attack life with everything you have, and absorbing every ounce of pleasure life has to offer-versus just making your way through it. You CAN’T experience everything life has to offer if you aren’t physically healthy.
This view creates a much bigger and healthier picture for you to live in.
Take Advantage of Immediate Gratification
Lets be real, sometimes the long-term benefits of attacking and absorbing life, or even fat loss, are not enough to get you to exercise or eat healthy when you REALLY don’t want to. (And sometimes you won’t and this is okay!)
But, you want to try. And sometimes all you need is some immediate gratification. You want to think about how good you will feel if you actually do it.
And no, this is not a bunch of BS.
Not only will you physically feel better, you will also feel better about yourself because you accomplished something-no matter how small.
Not feeling like crap CAN be a powerful motivator.
Re-Evaluate Where You Are Placing Your Self-Worth
These feelings of wanting to “fix yourself” are so all-encompassing because women in our culture are taught to put their self-worth on their appearance and how their bodies look.
Don’t get me wrong, appearances are important, but when you are placing your self-worth on it, this is where things get ugly. PLEASE re-evaluate where you are placing your self-worth.
To learn more about re-directing your self-worth read: Why “The Love Your Body Movement” is Wrong.
Brainy Betties helps you love your body, make fitness a positive experience, and teach you how to make it fit into your unique life. If you would like to learn more about Brainy Betties, schedule your $15 sample session today!
If this article helped you, and think it could help someone you know, please share!
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Sep 18, 2017 Yes, I Have Eaten An Entire Pizza
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Sep 5, 2017 I Eat Doritos in Bed
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More