Telling yourself you love your body is great, but it’s not going to work.
The problem with the “Love Your Body” movement and the fact that we need a movement in the first place, is WOMEN ARE STILL PUTTING THEIR SELF-WORTH ON HOW THEIR BODIES LOOK.
WHY IT’S NOT GOING TO WORK
Telling yourself you love your body, when you don’t believe it, is a Band-Aid.
It’s not getting to the deeper issue-where you’re placing your self-worth. You can’t change how you feel about yourself by putting a Band-Aid on it, reciting it, and praying it becomes true.
It’s like telling yourself, “I don’t like ice cream” to ensure you won’t eat it.
How long will that last?
For a long time I believed this. I wanted sooooo badly for it to be this easy. But it’s a deeper issue that requires deeper digging and thought.
WHAT ARE WE REALLY TRYING TO DO?
This movement’s objective is for women to be happy in their own skin. Which is awesome. Anything that makes women even a little happier is great. And at least we are bringing awareness to this BIG issue.
BUT!!! You could be so much happier if it was REAL and wasn’t done with a Band-Aid.
So, how do you do it?
Take Your Main Focus Off Your Body
The key to being happy in your own skin is to take your main focus off your body.
This doesn’t mean don’t care about how it looks or that you can’t continue to work on your appearance (we will get to this later.) You just don’t want to be putting your self-worth on it.
If you go up a pant size, you shouldn’t feel less worthy as a person. You may not be happy about it, and it may not be what you consider ideal, but it shouldn’t be ruining your life either.
Figure out Your Purpose
So, where do you put your focus?
On figuring out where your worth as a person, as a human being, comes from. Why are you here? What is your purpose in life?
I can assure you, you’re not here to agonize over your body.
You're here for a reason-to help humanity in your own unique way. And when you figure that out, it will light a fire inside of you, and you will realize WORRYING about your body is a complete waste of your precious time.
I PROMISE YOU THIS.
Our superficial society gets in the way of this thinking. It profits from you thinking less of yourself and comparing yourself to other women. When you feel insecure, you buy the products they are selling.
Practice Dealing with Shameful Thoughts and Comments Constructively
Start paying closer attention to that voice in your head that tells you, you aren’t good enough. Don’t listen to it, but pay attention to it so you can deal with it constructively vs. letting it tear you down.
Remember You Are Not the Only One
Part of dealing with these voices is to remember, you are not the only one who feels this way. You’re not some lonely freak of a women who hates her body.
Remember It’s All Just a Bunch of Made Up Crap
Your feelings and voices of inadequacy are based a bunch of made up crap.
Our culture has you programmed to think that women should look a certain way to be worthy. The beauty/weight loss/fitness industry creates these messages to get you to buy their products. And in the process, have also created a brainwashed culture.
This is why finally loving yourself requires you to step away from the crowd. You have to be willing to think differently than the majority of our culture.
You ARE worthy no matter what the media is trying to sell.
Take Care of Your Body Physically
Let’s be real here. Part of feeling good in your own skin comes from becoming fit and taking care of your body physically. Physically caring for, and respecting your body is part of developing a better relationship with yourself as a person.
There is also nothing wrong with wanting to improve your appearance, because it’s important. But, the problem comes from thinking that fit can only look a certain way and then start attaching your self-worth to this imaginary image. This becomes a dangerous rabbit hole (which we will get into in a minute.)
When you take care of yourself physically, do the mental work, and soul work, over time things fall into place.
Sounds like a lot of work RIGHT?!
Well, going through life not happy with who you are is A LOT more work.
And a lot more painful.
WHY JUST GETTING FITTER ISN’T THE ANSWER (AND MANY TIMES MAKES IT WORSE)
The Fitness and Body Obsession Rabbit Hole
When your self-worth is tied to how you look, fitness can become a dangerous rabbit hole.
When this is the case, enough is NEVER enough.
You can never be lean enough, defined enough, or pretty enough.
There are many women who have what our society calls a “perfect body” and they still hate themselves-because their self-worth is completely tied to how they look.
I used to be on this pursuit of “perfection” wheel. It’s a ride I never want to take again. It’s a never-ending hamster wheel of pain.
To be happy in your own skin you need to:
- Take your main focus off your body
- Figure out your purpose and live from this place (what really matters in your life)
- Practice dealing with negative thoughts from yourself and others
- Remember, you are not the only one who feels this way
- Remind yourself that it’s all a bunch of made up crap
- Take care of yourself physically
If you would like to receive more fresh thoughts for living your fittest and fullest life, click here, go to the bottom of the page, and sign up for Brainy Betties' Fresh Thoughts newsletter!
Think fresh and live your fullest and happiest life,
If you loved this article and think it could help someone you know, please share!
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Sep 18, 2017 Yes, I Have Eaten An Entire Pizza
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Sep 5, 2017 I Eat Doritos in Bed
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More