Feel like you need to eat all the christmas cookies because you never get the chance to have them?
Do you feel guilty about eating them and need to eat all of them to get rid of them?
This is called the Fear of Missing Out or FOMO
The Fear of Missing Out comes from a food feeling scarce. This can be from special occasions, special trips (where we think we’ll never have that food again) and from labeling foods good or bad.
How Labeling Food Good or Bad Gives Us FOMO
When you think what you’re eating is bad, you feel like you shouldn’t be eating it.
When you’re eating a food that you think you “shouldn’t” be eating, you feel like a bad person. This creates a feeling of scarcity because you’re going to limit this food as much as you can (or at least try, until it backfires and you find yourself eating that food again.)
To avoid feeling like a bad person any longer than you have to, once you start eating the food, you’re going to eat it all so you can get that bad feeling over with.
And god help the person who takes a bite of the treat you allotted for yourself. You may find yourself thinking (or actually saying), “This is my treat. All of it. I can never have it, so you can’t have any!”
Food doesn’t have to be this stressful. And you CAN overcome your FOMO around special occasions, special trips, and how you label your food.
Contact Brainy Betties today to create a better relationship with your food and fully enjoy your life.
Be Fit AND Happy!
About the Company
- Oct 16, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #3 Mindset of Self
- Oct 9, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #2 Mindset Around Exercise
- Sep 25, 2017 Why Brainy Betties was Created: Post #1 Mindset Around Food
- Jul 10, 2017 What Is A Brainy Betty?
- Sep 18, 2017 Yes, I Have Eaten An Entire Pizza
- Dec 31, 2017 5 Best Brainy Blogs 2017!
- Does This Sound Like You?
- Exercise Science
- Healthy in the Real World
Mindset with Body/Self
- Dec 11, 2017 Why Telling Yourself You Love Your Body Isn’t Working…and What Will
- Aug 21, 2017 Learning to Love Yourself is the Most Self-Less Thing You Can Do
- Jul 24, 2017 How Self-Care Makes You Feel Better About Your Body
- Jun 3, 2017 Why Loving Yourself Doesn't Make You Lazy-It Makes You Awesome
- May 6, 2017 For the love of god, get in the picture!
- Aug 29, 2016 Why The "Love Your Body" Movement Is Wrong
Mindset with Food
- Sep 5, 2017 I Eat Doritos in Bed
- Jul 17, 2017 Put Your Big Girl Pants On And Make Some Choices
- May 28, 2017 "Eating One Slice is the Same as Eating the Whole Cake"
- May 21, 2017 How to Stop Punishing Yourself for Eating "Badly"
- May 16, 2017 I'm Not Teaching My Daughter to 'Work off' Her Ice Cream
- Dec 19, 2016 How 'The Fear of Missing Out' Makes You Overeat
- Mindset with Life
- Aug 14, 2017 Fitness Doesn't Live in a Bubble
- Aug 7, 2017 Want to Be fit? Stop Obsessing Over the Scale
- Jul 3, 2017 The Secret to Lifelong Fitness
- Jun 19, 2017 The Motivation Myth
- Apr 21, 2017 If Fat Loss is Your Goal, It Will Need to Evolve
- Jan 17, 2017 How Half Naked Fitness Selfies Do You a Disservice and Why I Don't Post Them
- Jan 17, 2017 Why New Year's Resolutions Fail and How to Finally Be Successful!
- Jan 17, 2017 How 'All or Nothing' Workouts Lead to Failure
- Sep 20, 2016 How Our Culture Makes You Despise Exercise
- Dec 6, 2016 Behind A Woman Apologizing for Her Existence
- Tell Me More